Mold and mildew are tremendous health hazards. At the very least, they can cause fungus infection and skin allergies when they come in contact with the skin and eye irritation when they get into the eyes. However, mold and mildew can cause more serious and chronic ailments, such as allergic rhinitis, asthma and lung infection, especially when there is gradual exposure over time. That is why it is very important to kill mold and mildew as soon as signs of them appear in the house.
There are many ways to kill mold and mildew. Some ways involve using household chemicals such as disinfectants and cleansers that are formulated to kill mold and mildew. These household chemicals need to be used with care, as getting in contact with the mold and the mildew is harmful in itself, and getting in direct contact with these household chemicals can burn the skin too.
Another proven method used to kill mold and mildew are ozone generators. Ozone generators use what is called “high ozone shock treatment” to deal with mold contamination.
Ozone generators produce ozone by converting oxygen into ozone with high voltage, much like lightning in the sky. Ozone has the ability to oxidize mold, thereby disabling its capacity to reproduce and eventually killing it. High concentrations of ozone are necessary to effectively decontaminate mold and mildew infestation.
But to optimize the effectiveness of ozone generators, it is important that the problems concerning the water seepage, the humidity and the lack of ventilation in the area to be contaminated be first addressed. Ozone generators work best in dry places. Also, the area to be decontaminated must be evacuated because ozone is also toxic to humans, plants and pets. After the treatment is done, sufficient time should be allowed so the ozone can turn back into oxygen before the area is reoccupied. Usually an hour or two is sufficient.
The concentration of the ozone to be produced by ozone generators depends on the size and the degree of contamination in the affected area. Naturally, if the room is large and the contamination is high, it is necessary for the concentration of the ozone to be high as well. High quantities of ozone are needed to shock the mold and mildew; if the ozone is too weak, the decontamination will fail.
After the decontamination with the ozone generator is done, the dead mold should be removed completely and all contaminated building materials and furnishings that cannot be cleaned should be disposed of. Doing this will prevent the mold and mildew contamination from recurring and from further endangering the health of the people staying in the affected area.
Ozone generators are effective tools used to kill mold and mildew. To maximize their effectiveness, they should be used carefully and correctly.